Top Sports news of the day
Top Sports News of the day - 17 Jan 2021
Cricket | India tour of Australia
- What a day….although Australia has a lead in the Test, India won the heart!
- Since rains ruined the last session on day 2, the game started 30 minutes prior to the scheduled time and we saw some good cricket by tailenders
- Quick summary - Australia made 369 in its first innings and in reply, India scored 336 (lead of 33 runs in the first inning)
- By the end of Day 3, Australia was playing at 21 with no loss of wicket (total lead of 54 runs)
- Do you know who was the highest scorer from India in the first inning? Batsman No. 7 and Batsman No. 8
- Yes….partnership of 123 runs by these debutants - Washingon Sundar scored 62 runs and Shardul Thakur scored 67 runs,
- Josh Hazlewood bowled extremely good and took 5 wickets, Mitchell Starc and Pat Cummins took 2 wickets each
- The match is wide open and I am with India, are you?
Cricket | England Tour of Sri Lanka
- End of Day 4 of the First Test between Sri Lanka vs England, here is a quick summary -
- Sri Lanka won the toss, decided to bat first, and got out at 135 runs; England scored 421 in reply (Sri Lanka trail by 286 runs)
- Sri Lanka scored 359 runs in the second innings giving a target of 73 runs to England (Lahiru Theirmanne scored 111 and Jack Leach took 5 wickets)
- By the end of Day 4, England was at 38 runs for the loss of 3 wickets and need merely 36 runs to win this first test
- England might win the Tests series by 2-0 looking at this performance
- Gone are those good days of Arjuna Ranatunga….
- The second Test will start on 22 January 2021
Cricket | South Africa tour of Pakistan
- South Africa cricket is in Karachi for their upcoming Tests series and T20 series with Pakistan
- South Africa is visiting Pakistan for the first time in 14 years
- Two-Tests series will start from 26 January 2021 and the Three-T20 series will start from 11 February 2021
- Post completing the Test series almost whole of the squad will fly back to South Africa for preparing for the upcoming series with Australia
- The entirely new team is expected to play the T20 series
Cricket | Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy (SMAT)- Domestic Indian Cricket Season
- Jharkhand (182/4) defeated Odisha (128 all-out) by 54 runs, with 2 overs remaining
- Until now Top run-scorer is Prabhsimran Singh from Punjab (268 runs in 4 matches at an average of 134 runs) and Highest Wicket Taker is Ishan Porel from Bengal (11 wickets in 3 matches at an average of 9.07)
Cricket | Big Bash League (BBL) season 10
- Melbourne Stars(153/4) beat Melbourne Renegades (150 all-out) by 6 wickets (with 5 balls remaining)
- 24-year old Liam Hatcher of Melbourne Stars(STA) was the Man of the match as he took 3 wickets for 29 runs in 4 overs
- It was an all-round performance by STA - Marcus Stoinis and Nick Larkin scored 43 runs each, and Nic Maddinson scored 20 runs in 15 balls
- Still, Sydney Sixers leads the BBL season 10 table with 32 points (8 wins in 11 matches) followed by Sydney Thunders with 23 points (6 wins in 10 matches). Sydney Sixers has been a leader throughout!
- Tomorrow - Monday, 18 January 2021 - Sydney Thunders will play with Hobart Hurricanes in the 43rd match of the BBL season 10
Sports | Other sports news
- Twitteratis trolled Australian captain Tim Paine for appealing some weird review calls (must be under desperation)
- Indian sports son-in-law - Shoaib Malik said that the T10 format will bring a new audience to the game. अरे भाई, और कितना shrink करवाओगे क्रिकेट गेम को
- 30-year old James Neesham (also known as Jimmy in New Zealand) would be undergoing surgery on his left ring finger and should be back by the end of the Super Smash tournament. Jimmy has scored 2300+ runs in international cricket and has taken 90+ wickets. Get well soon, Champion!
- 26-year old Mahedi Hasan will join the Bangladesh squad as a Batsman for the upcoming Tests series against West Indies. Fast bowlers Hasan Mahmud and Shoriful Islam have also been picked in the playing squad of Bangladesh. Tests series will begin on 20 January 2021
- Football - Manchester United will play with Liverpool in Sunday’s Premier League - Should be an interesting match as Liverpool hasn't lost any game at home in this league since April 2017
- Football - Chelsea Beat Fulham by 1-0 in the English Premier League as Mason Mount scored a goal in the 78th minute for Chelsea
Sports | Question of the day
- This question is about the Nomura Cup, to which game this cup related to? Options are - Badminton, Basketball, Football, or Cricket? Do reply to this post!
- Yesterday's quiz was - Name the player who has been awarded all these awards - Dronacharya award, Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, Arjuna Award, and Padma Shri ? and the correct answer is - Pullela Gopichand