Top Sports news of the day
Top Sports News of the day - 16 Jan 2021
Cricket | India tour of Australia
- What happened on Day 2 of the Fourth and final (decider) Test between India and Australia?
- Rains ruined the day for cricket at Brisbane and now Day 3 will start 30 min earlier to cover the loss
- A quick summary of the Test - Australia made 369 in its first innings on this bouncy pitch, and in reply, India scored 62 runs for the loss of 2 wickets
- The pitch is anyways bouncy and post rains on Day 2, it might be difficult for batsmen to score
- The sad part is that Rohit Sharma got out early at 44 runs
- Which team are you betting on?
Cricket | England Tour of Sri Lanka
- Quick Summary of the first test between Sri Lanka and Australia
- Sri Lanka won the toss, decided to bat first, and got out at 135 runs (yes, its shocking even if we read it twice or thrice)
- England scored 421 in reply
- By end of Day 3, Sri Lanka was at 156 runs for the loss of 2 wickets (trailing by 130 runs)
- This is a decent comeback by Sri Lanka as openers did a good job
- Opener Kusal Perera scored 62 runs and gave a good start to Sri Lanka's second innings, Lahiru Theirmanne is still on the crease with 76 runs under his kitty
- Let's see if Sri Lanka is able to score big, but the odds of winning the test is in favor of England
Cricket | South Africa tour of Pakistan
- South Africa cricket team arrived in Karachi today for their first-ever tour to Pakistan in 14 years
- The teams will play Two Tests (starting 26 January 2021) and Three T20 matches (starting 11 February 2021)
- Pakistan recently lost Two-tests series to New Zealand by 0-2 and must be low in morale
- Pakistan has rejigged the whole team and has dropped left-hand batsmen Haris Sohail, Opener Shan Masood, Right-arm fast-bowler Naseem Shah, Right-arm fast-medium bowler Mohammad Abbas, and Left-arm spinner Zafar Gohar
- 28-year old Quinton de Kock (wicketkeeper-batsman) will lead the South Africa team and looking strong to crush Pakistan at their home-ground
Badminton | Sania Nehwal | Thailand Open
- Sania Nehwal was tested Covid positive in the ongoing Thailand Open
- In a major break-through today, doctors have allowed Saina to play again in the tournament as she has developed anti-body
- This is great news for athletes across the globe as till now the general consensus was that if an athlete is tested Covid positive he/she would need to be isolated with no possibility of participating back in the tournament
- India now again has a chance to win a medal in the women single category
Cricket | Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy (SMAT)- Domestic Indian Cricket Season
- Jharkhand (182/4) defeated Odisha (128 all-out) by 54 runs, with 2 overs remaining
- Until now Top run-scorer is Prabhsimran Singh from Punjab (268 runs in 4 matches) and Highest Wicket Taker is Ishan Porel from Bengal (11 wickets in 3 matches)
Cricket | Big Bash League (BBL) season 10
- Sidney Sixers (164/3) beat Perth Scorchers (163/7) by 7 wickets (with 7 balls remaining)
- 23-year old Josh Philippe of Sidney Sixers was the Man of the match as he smashed 84 runs in just 52 balls (not-out)
- 52 runs in 35 balls by James Vince of Sidney Sixers also helped them clinch the victory
- Still, Sydney Sixers leads the BBL season 10 table with 32 points (8 wins in 11 matches) followed by Sydney Thunders with 23 points (6 wins in 10 matches). That's a huge gap between the top team and the following team
- Tomorrow - Sunday, 17 January 2021 - Melbourne Stars will play with Melbourne Renegades in the 42nd match of the BBL season 10
Sports | Other sports news
- श्रीमान Gavaskar Ji criticized Vice-Captain Rohit Sharma for throwing away the wicket by playing a loose shot, to which शर्मा जी responded that this shot has given him many runs in the past and he will continue playing it!
- The racism episode is far from getting over as now an Indian fan has lodged an official complaint against the Sydney Cricket Ground security officer for a racial comment, while the fan was trying to carry anti-racism banners along with him on the last day of the match
- Sad news - Hardik Pandya's and Krunal Pandya's father passed away due to a Heart attack, he was 71 years old. May his soul rest in heaven's glory. While Hardik was at home, Krunal was playing the Syed Mushtaq Ali T20 tournament as Baroda's captain. He left the tournament to be with the family.
- Famous cricketer Greg Chappell picked the recent spat between Australian captain Tim Paine and Indian spinner R Ashwin and urged Paine to keep high standards for the visiting team and set an example for millions of kids watching the game.
- Shakib Al Hasan has been cleared by ICC after 2 years of the ban (anti-corruption code) and all set to play for Bangladesh in the upcoming One-day International series against West Indies
Sports | Question of the day
- Name the player who has been awarded all these awards - the Dronacharya award, Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, Arjuna Award, and Padma Shri? Options are - Abhinav Bindra, Sachin Tendulkar, Prakash Padukone, Pullela Gopichand? Do reply to this post!
- Yesterday's quiz was - Who was the first Indian women to win Gold in 400 meters in Asian Games?? and the correct answer is - Kamaljit Sandhu