Top Sports news of the day
Top Sports News of the day - 07 Jan 2021
Cricket | India tour of Australia
- Today was Day 1 of the third test between Australia and India at Sydney Cricket Ground
- Australia won the toss and asked India to the field, while they try their luck with the bat
- By the end of Day 1 - Australia score 166 for the loss of 2 wickets (the low scoring day was due to इंद्र देव)
- Will Pucovski scored 62 runs. On the crease are - Marnus Labusshagne playing at 67 and Steve Smith playing at 31
- Mohammed Siraj took the wicket of much-hyped David Warner (5 runs) and Navdeep Saini LbW bowled Will Pucovski
- This is four-tests series and both the teams have won one test each
- Apart from Cricket, something on the humanity front - Two young debutants of this test - Mohammed Siraj and Will Pucovski were seen emotional before the test for missing their near and dear ones far away in Sydney. This is life!
Cricket | England tour of Pakistan (Hold your guns…we are talking about women cricket here!)
- For the first time ever, the England women cricket team will be visiting Pakistan for playing two T20 and 3 ODI matches
- T20 matches will be played on 14 October 2021 and 15 October 2021 (no rest day!)
- ODIs will be played on 18 October 2021, 20 October 2021, and 22 October 2021
- This is all preparation for the 2022 Women Cricket World Cup
Cricket | Big Bash League (BBL) season 10
- Sydney Thunders (167/5) beat Hobart Hurricanes (128/8) by 39 runs
- Nathan McAndrew was awarded as the Man of the match as he took 2 wickets for 25 runs (in 4 overs)
- Sydney Thunder leads the BBL season 10 table with 22 points (6 wins in 8 matches) followed by Sydney Sixers with 21 points (5 wins in 8 matches)
- On Friday, 08 January 2021 - Adelaide Strikers will play with Melbourne Renegades in match 33 of BBL season 10
Cricket | Afghanistan Vs Ireland
- Due to quarantine requirements, the upcoming Afghanistan vs Ireland ODI series has been rescheduled
- Instead of 18 January 2021, the three-ODI series will begin from 21 January 2021
- Matches will be played at Sheikh Zayed Stadium in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UAE)
Cricket | United Arab Emirates (UAE) Vs Ireland
- 23-year old, Ireland fast bowler David Delany will miss the four-ODI series with UAE, due to an injury
- 21-year old, Left-arm fast-medium bowler Joshua Little will replace David Delany
- UAE is getting a larger exposure by playing against a full-member ICC team (Ireland)
- The Series will begin from Friday, 8 January 2021 at Sheikh Zayed Stadium in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UAE)
- Indian fans can see the matches on Eurosport, a sports channel of Discovery
Other Sports updates of the day
- Cricket - Saurav Ganguly got discharged from the hospital
- Football - I-League (a premier football league in India) will start from 09 January 2021 under bio-secure bubbles. Teams will have online yoga sessions!
- IPL 2021 - IPL auction is expected to be held on 11 February 2021. By 20 January 2021, all eight franchises to submit their list of retained and related players. The trading window will close on 04 February 2021
Tennis | Interesting memory
- Steffi Graf was playing against Kimiko Date in 1995 Wimbledon
- Someone from the audience shouted - Steffi, will you marry me?
- Steffi was puzzled a bit, took a pause, thought over, and then smiled
- Smiled and asked - How much money do you have?
- And the whole court went into laughter
- A sense of humor is what you need to win heart!